Your crown chakra, also known as Sahasrara, rests a few hand widths above the crown of your head. This energy point is the seventh chakra and a powerful force to tap into. It is also sometimes called the thousand-petaled lotus, which is a lotus symbol in Buddhism that depicts the beautiful flower’s ability to bloom entirely, even through murky water. It is the apex of the higher chakras and is known for our spiritual connection to the world and a sense of enlightenment. This chakra also helps one tap into pure consciousness and an awareness of life’s powerful energy, that connects all beings in the universe.
The seventh chakra is most often represented by a deep purple hue but can also be shown as a bright white light with an auric field around the energy point. As it is part of the upper or higher chakras, the crown chakra has less to do with the body but more to do with the mind, the soul, and the connection to a higher spiritual power. However, the crown chakra governs over the function of the pituitary gland, the pineal gland, and the hypothalamus. Anyone with a well-balanced crown chakra can experience some form of spiritual learning or a life-changing experience that has allowed him or her to drop into a deeper sense of knowing.
If the crown chakra is unbalanced:
- One may have trouble finding a sense of themselves spiritually.
- One may become too obsessed or attached to material matters or may be completely close-minded and not willing to explore that part of their life.
If the crown chakra is overactive: One could lose balance with the lower chakras and therefore find a lot of disconnection with his or her body.
There needs to be a balance between the lower and the upper chakras so that you have a firm connection to your body, mind, and soul. In a physical sense, a blocked crown chakra could present itself as a neurological disorder or a thyroid issue.
Ways To Balance Crown Chakra:
There are many ways to connect more with your crown chakra and bring more balance to this vital energy center.
- One of the greatest ways to connect with all the chakras except the crown chakra, in particular, is through meditation. Through meditation, one can connect more to their spiritual side, allowing any worries in the body and the mind to be temporarily forgotten. Then a deeper work with the spirit can take place through breath and mindfulness. As you add more meditation into your daily life and begin to bring the peace and oneness of self with universal energy, balance within the crown chakra will become easier to maintain.
- Yoga is another great tool to keep you connected to your body’s energy. A slower, mindful practice where you can incorporate more moments of silence and pause in poses for several breaths would benefit the crown chakra and help to create more balance.
- Floral scents such as jasmine and rose can help to reduce energy in the crown chakra if it is overactive. Scents like sandalwood or myrrh incense can stimulate energy if the chakra point is depleted.